I’m pretty picky about my granola, and there are a few particular characteristics that will make me spit it out and not eat it: sugar-loaded, greasy, dusty and loose.
Also, unequal textures that require longer chewing than the rest of your bite.
Like giant nuts or leathery dates, for example. Your jaw is still chewing at full throttle while everything else already proceeded to your stomach. No!
Hold the sesame seeds, too (they get stuck to my teeth), and give the raisins to someone else, please (I hate them).
But here’s what I love:
- Chocolate, especially in a combo with oranges.
- Buttery pistachios and lightly bitter almonds.
- Brown sugar perfectly meshing with maple syrup, resulting in an intense, molasses-like taste.
- Cinnamon on everything.
Those were my points of reference when creating this recipe, and I’m really happy with the results:
Crispy, subtly sweet, chocolaty, orange-flavored clusters of caramelized oats and nuts.
I am calling for dried currants to be mixed in at the end, as I think their distinct sourness and tiny size perfectly balance out the granola’s overall taste.
Some granola recipes make you stand by the oven and turn it frequently so it doesn’t burn. None of that nonsense.
All you have to do in this version is to pack the mixture tightly and evenly in a rimmed baking sheet (mine measures 15.5 x 11.5 inches), and let it bake in the oven.
You will end up with a compact mass that you’ll break up into small chunks once it cools.
While you’re thinking about breakfast, check out these two delicious recipes as well:
Do you like granola? How do you eat it? Yogurt or milk? Or just dry, straight from the jar?
Tell me in the comments.Print
Chocolate Granola With Pistachios, Almonds and Dried Currants
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: About 10 cups 1x
New breakfast classic! Crispy, chocolaty, orange-flavored clusters of caramelized oats and nuts, with dried currants.
- 4½ cups old-fashioned (gluten-free) rolled oats
- 1 cup cocoa
- 1 cup coarsely chopped almonds
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pistachios
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons orange flavor
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¾ cups melted coconut oil
- 1 cup dried currants
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet (15.5 x 11.5 inches) with parchment paper. Adjust the oven rack to the upper-middle position.
- In a large bowl, mix the oats with cocoa, almonds and pistachios.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, maple syrup, orange flavor, salt, cinnamon and coconut oil. Add the mixture to the oats and, using a wooden spoon, combine until completely blended.
- Using a wooden spoon, press the mixture into the baking sheet to create an even, compact layer. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely. Break up the granola into chunks, and mix in the currants. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.
sheenam @ thetwincookingproject says
Such an amazing recipe. definitely trying this.
Michal Martinek says
Thank you so much! Let me know how it turns out pls