- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 slices crusty bread
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar or Jarlsberg cheese, freshly grated
- black pepper, freshly ground
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt the butter in a rimmed baking pan that fits the bread slices.
- Place the bread slices in the pan and toast in the oven for 2 minutes, then turn over and toast on the other side for another 2 minutes.
- Take the pan out of the oven and distribute the cheese evenly on top of each bread slice, creating nests for the eggs.
- Carefully position one egg into each nest.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and bake until the egg white is set and turns white, but the egg yolk is still soft, about 15–18 minutes.