This was one of my favorite breakfast dishes growing up—a pedestal of toasted, chewy, sliced bread with melted sharp cheese on top, oozing with runny egg yolk. A perfect comfort food, it’s rustic and quick; just add ketchup and/or hot sauce!
It is important to use a good quality, dense type of bread with a nice crust, such as rye or boule. And the cheese has to have good melting properties—cheddar, fontina, Gruyère, Gouda, Jarlsberg or Monterey Jack are all great.
Here are some other delicious Czech recipes:
What’s your favorite breakfast item? And ketchup on eggs – yes or no?
Tell me in the comments.Print
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 slices crusty bread
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar or Jarlsberg cheese, freshly grated
- black pepper, freshly ground
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt the butter in a rimmed baking pan that fits the bread slices.
- Place the bread slices in the pan and toast in the oven for 2 minutes, then turn over and toast on the other side for another 2 minutes.
- Take the pan out of the oven and distribute the cheese evenly on top of each bread slice, creating nests for the eggs.
- Carefully position one egg into each nest.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and bake until the egg white is set and turns white, but the egg yolk is still soft, about 15–18 minutes.