Light, nutritious breakfast made by soaking gluten-free rolled oats, dried fruit and nuts in a dairy-free milk and orange juice. Top with fresh fruit and vegan yogurt.
- 2 cups (225 g) gluten-free old-fashioned rolled oats
- ¾ cup (75 g) dried fruit (cherries, cranberries, raisins, blueberries, apricots, etc.)
- ½ cup (50 g) almonds or other nuts (walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts), chopped
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup (250 ml) dairy-free milk
- ¼ cup (50 ml) dairy-free yogurt, plus extra to serve
- ¼ cup (50 ml) orange juice
- ¼ cup (50 ml) maple syrup
- 1½ cups finely diced, peeled, cored, tart apple (about 1 large apple, such as Granny Smith)
- To serve:
- Dairy-free yogurt (optional)
- Mixture of seasonal fresh fruit (optional), cut into bite-size pieces
- Combine the oats, dried fruit, nuts, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Mix the milk, yogurt, orange juice, and maple syrup in a small bowl.
- Add the liquid mixture to the bow with the oat mixture, and mix well with a wooden spoon or spatula. Leave the mixture in the bowl or transfer to a smaller container, and cover with a lid or plastic wrap.
- Let soak for minimum 5 hours or overnight in the refrigerator (at this point, you can store the muesli, tightly covered in the refrigerator, for up to 6 days).
- In a medium bowl, stir the apple into the mixture.
- Serve the muesli in individual bowls, and top with yogurt and fresh fruit if you like.