Your go-to coffee cake with a layer of crunchy walnuts in the middle
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour + 2 tablespoons to flour the bundt pan
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened + 1 tablespoon to grease the bundt pan
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon sugar, separated
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- Powdered sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and place an oven rack in the middle.
- Grease the bundt cake pan with 1 tablespoon of the butter. Add 2 tablespoons of flour and tap the pan, moving it around, until the whole surface is white and floured. Tap out any excess flour. (My bundt pan measures 9.5×3.4″)
- Combine the flour, baking powder, and baking soda in a medium bowl.
- Cream the butter and 1 cup of sugar with an electric mixer at medium-high for 5 minutes in a medium bowl.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until combined.
- Beat in the sour cream, then set the electric mixer aside.
- Gently fold in the flour mixture with a wooden spoon.
- Mix together the cinnamon and 1 tablespoon sugar in a small bowl.
- Spread half the batter evenly into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle the walnuts over the batter, and then sprinkle with the cinnamon/sugar mixture. Spread the rest of the batter on top of the walnuts.
- Bake 40–50 minutes until golden brown, and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool in the pan. Flip over a serving plate to release.
- Sprinkle with the powdered sugar and slice.
- Store covered, in a cool place, for up to 3 days.