Quick and flavor-packed vegan alternative to scrambled eggs. It’s your new breakfast staple.
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) olive oil
- 1 cup (80 g) finely diced, stemmed shishito peppers (with seeds left in) – see note 1
- ½ cup (65 g) finely chopped red, or yellow peeled onion
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon crushed chili flakes (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup (240 g) diced fresh, or drained canned tomatoes (about 1-inch dice)
- 1 16-ounce (454 g) block soft silken tofu
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro, or parsley
- Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add the shishito peppers, onion, salt, chili flakes, oregano and black pepper, and sauté, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are soft, about 8–10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, and cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes.
- Add the tofu and gently break with a spatula or wooden spoon. Cook and carefully stir the mixture, until the tofu is heated through, about 5 more minutes. Stir in the cilantro, and add more salt and/or black pepper, to taste.
- Serve hot. Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- Note 1 – If you can’t find shishito peppers, use another type of peppers, such as bell, paprika, or poblano peppers.