I appreciate all the crunchy, multicolored vegetables in this delicious salad—I think jicama is especially underused—but for me, it’s really about the dressing.
Not only does it taste great—sweet, sour, spicy—and has a nice creamy texture, but it has medicinal properties as well.
Ground flax seeds, the main ingredient, are rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids and vitamins A, B and E, and they are anti-inflammatory, analgesic and decongestant.
Flaxseed is a strong laxative, and your bowel movement is almost guaranteed!
Plus, cilantro purifies the blood and improves digestion; lemon is antiseptic and antiparasitic; and ginger improves concentration and blood circulation.
You should just gulp this stuff down on its own.
Feel free to use the dressing on other vegetables and make it in bulk—it will last in the refrigerator for up to five days.
More salads and sides for you to take a look at:
Do you like coleslaw? Do you prefer mayo in yours?
Tell me in the comments.Print
Crunchy, rainbow-colored vegetables mixed with vibrant, nutrient packed salad dressing. Great on its own or as a side.
- For the coleslaw:
- 4 cups thinly sliced, packed, trimmed red and/or white cabbage
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, destemmed, seeded, thinly sliced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, destemmed, seeded, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, destemmed, seeded, thinly sliced
- 1 medium jicama, peeled, cut into thin strips
- 2 medium carrots, peeled into ribbons
- 1 English cucumber or 3 Persian cucumbers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Handful of pumpkin seeds
- For the dressing:
- ½ cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed (about 4–5 lemons)
- ¼ cup maple or agave syrup
- 1 tablespoon peeled, finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 cup packed, chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup ground flaxseed (see notes)
- 1 cup olive oil
- ¼ cup water
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon lack pepper, freshly ground
- Place the coleslaw vegetables in a large bowl and toss.
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a high-speed blender, and blend for about 60 seconds until smooth. Taste and adjust by adding more salt, sweetener, or water.
- In a bowl, toss the vegetables with the dressing to taste. Sprinkle with the pumpkin seeds.
- Store the rest of the dressing in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. If it gets too thick, add some water and shake.
- Feel free to play with the vegetables measurements as well as which type you use. If you can’t find jicama, skip it and add more cucumber. Don’t love carrots? Add more bell pepper. If you can only find one color of bell pepper, use that. As long as all vegetables are crunchy, you’re good to go.
- Jalapeño and other chilies would be a great addition and make the coleslaw spicy.
- To grind flaxseed, add it to a coffee grinder or high-speed blender, and process until powdery.
- You can place all dressing ingredients in a jar and shake until combined. It won’t be as smooth as from a blender, but still great.