Picnic or Potluck? Bring This Tasty Strawberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Strawberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake
A layer of concentrated puree made from fresh strawberries—as well as a strawberry jam hidden in the center—beautifully flavors this simple, dense, not-too-sweet cake. It is moist thanks to sour cream, and a crumble topping gives it a nice texture. I like it with my afternoon coffee; it also travels well, so it is a great idea for a potluck or picnic.
- Makes one 9-inch cake
- Vegetable oil or butter for pan
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled, halved
- 3 tablespoons strawberry jam
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and oil a round 9-inch springform pan.
- Combine the strawberries, strawberry jam and cornstarch in a blender, and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Mix the sugar, flour, baking powder and baking soda in a medium bowl. Add the butter, and using a pastry blender, work the butter into the flour mixture until large crumbs form. Alternatively, use a food processor fitted with an S-shape blade to pulse a few times until crumbled, or use your hands to rub the butter and flour until crumbled. Take out ½ cup of this mixture to use as a topping.
- Mix the sour cream, egg and vanilla in a small bowl. Add the sour cream mixture into the flour and mix well.
- Spread half the batter evenly over the bottom of the pan. With a spatula, create a 1-inch-high rim along the sides. Pour the strawberry puree over the batter and spread evenly. Drop dollops of the remaining batter over the strawberry puree and smooth out as best as you can—it’s fine for the batter to blend with the puree.
- Sprinkle the reserved topping over the batter, and bake in the oven until lightly golden on top and a cake tester or knife inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 55–60 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes. Release the cake from the springform and let cool completely.