Spicy Gingerbread Cookies With Rum Glaze and Candied Lemon Peel
Nothing says Christmastime to me more than these small, glossy, slightly spicy, caramel-colored morsels with gingerbread-like taste. They’re moist and dense, and scented with ground cloves, cinnamon, allspice and ginger. Candied lemon peel and ground almonds give it a nicely chewy texture, and an aromatic rum glaze adds to the overall exquisite flavor. They’re irresistible and addictive, and I kept popping them in my mouth while I was decorating them.
The dough is easy to make, but when you work with it, it is going to be sticky. I used vegetable oil in a spray bottle to spray my palms, making it much easier to create the little balls.
This recipe is adapted from Saveur magazine.
- Yields 36 cookies
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup unsulfured molasses
- ½ cup honey
- 2 eggs, room temperature, beaten
- 2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
- ½ cup candied lemon peel, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup almonds, finely ground
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- ¾ teaspoon cloves, freshly ground
- ¾ teaspoon cardamom, freshly ground
- Vegetable oil
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons rum
- Combine the butter, molasses and honey in a small pot and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the butter melts and the mixture is hot, about 2 minutes. Let cool and then stir in the eggs.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, ½ of the lemon peel, the almonds and all the spices. Add the molasses mixture, and mix with a wooden spoon until combined. Cover with plastic food wrap and refrigerate for minimum 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Oil your palms lightly and regularly with the vegetable oil and, using a tablespoon as a measure, create balls from the dough. Space them 1 inch apart on the baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven until slightly cracked on top, about 13–15 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack.
- While the cookies are baking, create the glaze. Whisk the powdered sugar with the rum in a small bowl until glossy and smooth, about 8–10 minutes.
- While they’re still warm, drizzle each cookie with the glaze and top with the remaining lemon peel. Store in a container for up to 7 days.