Refreshing, light-bodied soup made with four basic ingredients.
- 1 1/2 cups sauerkraut
- 6 cups water
- 3 medium potatoes, skin on, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1 egg, soft-boiled for 5 minutes, peeled, quartered (optional)
- Rinse the sauerkraut and combine it with the water in a medium-size pot, and bring to a boil over high heat. Lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the potatoes and cook until soft, 15–20 minutes.
- Mix the sour cream with the flour, and stir it into the soup. Cook, stirring occasionally until the soup thickens slightly, about 5 minutes. Add the sugar, salt and black pepper.
- Turn the heat off and stir in the egg. Adjust seasoning to taste. Serve with the soft-boiled egg if using.