Easy coffee cake made with crisp apples and dark chocolate.
- 5 eggs
- 1½ cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil, plus 1 tablespoon for the baking pan
- 2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3½ ounces dark chocolate (about one chocolate bar)
- 4 cups firm, peeled apples cut into ½-inch cubes (about 2 large or 3 medium apples)
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and brush a rimmed, 9×13-inch baking pan with 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and mix in the sugar. Stir in the oil and add the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, chocolate and apples. Mix until combined.
- Pour the batter into the baking pan and spread evenly. Bake in the oven until a knife or cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 35–40 minutes.
- Let cool completely in the pan, and then slice. Dust with powdered sugar. The cake will keep in a cool place, tightly wrapped, for up to 3 days.
- Add 3/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans to the batter in step 2.
- I used olive oil instead of vegetable oil a few times and didn’t taste a difference.