Quick, creamy, and comforting! Make this risotto with just basic ingredients like arborio rice, peas, and corn, and eat in 30 minutes.
- 6 cups (1.5 liter) vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) olive oil
- 1 cup (133 g) finely diced, peeled yellow onion
- 2 cups (354 g) Arborio or Carnaroli rice
- ½ cup (120 ml) white wine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (120 g) fresh or frozen peas
- 1 cup (120 g) fresh or frozen corn
- 2/3 cup (35 g) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Black pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- Crème fraiche (optional)
- Micro greens (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, bring the vegetable stock to a simmer over medium-low heat.
- In a large sauté pan or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the rice, white wine, and salt. Stirring slowly, cook until the rice absorbs the wine, about 3 minutes.
- Ladle in the hot stock, about 1 cup (240 ml) at a time, and continue slowly stirring, letting the rice absorb all the stock before adding more. (This allows the starches to slowly release).
- The process of adding stock 1 cup at a time, continuous stirring, and the rice becoming al dente (firm but no longer crunchy), takes about 25 minutes.
- When the rice is al dente, stir in the peas, corn, Parmesan cheese, and about 1½ cups of stock, and cook, slowly stirring, for another 2 minutes. Turn the heat off.
- The consistency of the finished risotto should be porridge-like. The rice will keep absorbing the liquid and get thicker, so serve immediately.
- Top with freshly ground black pepper, crème fraiche and micro greens if you like.
- Store the risotto in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat by stirring in extra stock to bring it back to the porridge-like consistency.