Traditional Czech coffee cake made with just seven ingredients: butter, sugar, eggs, flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, and milk
- 16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened, plus extra to butter the pan
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1¼ cup all-purpose flour, plus extra to dust the pan
- 2½ cups freshly ground poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup whole milk
Powdered sugar for serving
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Thoroughly grease a bundt pan with butter or spray with vegetable oil, and dust lightly with flour. Tap out any excess flour.
- In a bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter, sugar and egg yolks until pale and thick. Stir in in the poppy seeds, and sift in the flour with the baking powder. Add the milk and combine.
- In another bowl, using an electric mixer on high speed, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Fold the egg whites into the poppy seed mixture.
- Pour the batter into the bundt pan and smooth out evenly. Bake in the oven until a cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 45–50 minutes.
- Let cool for 5 minutes; then flip over, dust with powder sugar, and slice.
- Store covered, in a cool place, for up to 3 days.