Linzer Torte with Raspberry Jam is a classic dessert with a tender ground-almond crust and sweet-sour raspberry jam.
- 1¼ cup ground almonds or hazelnuts
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- Zest of 1 medium lemon
- 9 tablespoons unsalted, cold butter, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 3 egg yolks
- 1½ cups raspberry, or red currant jam
- In a food processor fitted with an S-shape blade, pulse the ground almonds, flour, sugar, and lemon zest for about 10–15 seconds, until combined.
- Add the butter and pulse in 3-second intervals, until the butter is incorporated into the mixture, crumbly, and about pea-size.
- Add the egg yolks and pulse again a few times until incorporated, and a wet dough starts to form.
- Empty the contents of the bowl on a clean surface, and with your hands, form the dough into a ball. Press down into a disk.
- Measure and cut out ¼ of the dough, and set it aside for topping.
- Using your fingers and knuckles, press the dough evenly into the bottom and sides of a round 9-inch springform pan to form a shell for the jam filling.
- Refrigerate the pan and the ¼ of the dough for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven for 350F.
- Take ¼ of the dough out of the refrigerator and form it into a ball, then press down into a disc. Cut it into about 16–20 small parts. Roll each part in your hands to form a little ball. Press the ball down to create a 1/8-inch disc. The size of each little ball doesn’t have to be precise—some will be smaller and some bigger, and so will the disc.
- Spread the jam evenly over the bottom of the pan with a spoon. Place the little discs of dough all over the jam and lightly press down. The topping will create a polka dot pattern.
- Bake in the oven until the edges and the topping are golden brown, and the jam is set, about 50–55 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely in the pan. To slide off the outside ring easily, place the torte on a can or jar. (Don’t remove the torte from the pan until it has cooled completely, otherwise the edges will crumble).
- Cut the torte into slices and serve. Store in a cool place for up to 3 days.