This raw vegan kelp noodle salad is crunchy, fresh, and insanely satisfying, thanks to the nutty, creamy Almond-Tahini Dressing.
- For the salad:
- 2 cups finely chopped romaine lettuce or spinach
- 1 cup diced Persian or English cucumber
- 1 cup diced red pepper
- 2 cups kelp noodles, rinsed
- ¼ cup chopped almonds
- For the dressing:
- ¼ cup raw, smooth, unsalted almond butter
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon Nama Shoyu or Tamari
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup or maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (about 1 large lemon)
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, peeled, chopped
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Place the noodles in a medium bowl and rinse a few times under cold running water to remove any small particles. Drain the noodles and squeeze.
- Cut the kelp noodles three or four times to avoid extra long pieces.
- Mix the lettuce, cucumber, red pepper, noodles and almonds in a bowl, preferably with your hands, to distribute all ingredients evenly.
- To make the dressing, combine all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth.
- Add about 2/3 cup of the dressing (or more/less depending on your taste) to the bowl and toss to combine.
- Store the dressing for up to 7 days in a refrigerator. It can be thinned with water to a lighter consistency if it thickens too much.
The dressing can be used as a dip for crackers or crudités.