Tart and sweet summer dessert with a crunchy layer of caramelized brown sugar-oat on top.
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Pinch salt
- 1 pound rhubarb, peeled, cut into ¼-inch slices (about 4 cups)
- ¾ pound strawberries, hulled, cut in half (about 3 cups)
- Topping ingredients
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¾ cup oat flour
- ¼ cup rice flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup gluten-free old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 egg
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Vanilla ice cream or whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and position an oven rack in the middle.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the brown sugar, cornstarch and salt. Add the rhubarb and strawberries, and gently toss to coat.
- In another medium bowl, sift together the sugar, oat and rice flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Stir in the oats.
- Break in the egg and mix until it’s combined and the mixture is crumbly.
- Place the fruit mixture in an ovenproof 10-inch skillet or pie pan, or an 8×8-inch baking pan.
- Sprinkle the topping evenly over the fruit. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of sugar (optional). Drizzle the melted butter over the topping and place the pan on a rimmed baking sheet to prevent any fruit juice drippings in your oven.
- Bake until the top is golden brown and the fruit bubbling, about 50–60 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature, topped with the ice cream or whipped cream.
- Try other soft-flesh fruit such as peaches, apricots, nectarines, plums, or blueberries.
- Use 1 cup of unbleached all-purpose flour for the topping instead of the oat and rice flours, if you can tolerate gluten.
- Add 1/4 cup chopped almonds or pecans to the fruit mixture in step 2 for extra crunch.