A very moist, airy, satisfying flavor-packed gingerbread recipe.
- Butter, vegetable oil, or oil spray for greasing the baking pan
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon dried ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup plum jam, or your favorite fruit jam
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Chocolate sprinkles (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- Grease the bottom and sides of a 9×13” or 10×14” baking pan with the butter, vegetable oil, or spray with the oil spray. Set aside.
- Add the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, and cloves in a medium bowl and mix to combine.
- Lightly beat the eggs in a small bowl. Stir in the jam and the milk, and whisk to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Spread the batter in the prepared baking pan. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, or until a cake tester (or a wooden stick or knife) inserted in the middle of the pan comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
- Prepare the glaze. Sift the powdered sugar into a bowl, add the lemon juice, and whisk until smooth and glossy, about 5 – 8 minutes. Alternately, you can prepare the glaze with an electric mixer.
- Pour the glaze over the gingerbread and using a spatula, spread evenly all over the surface. Sprinkle with the chocolate sprinkles if using. Let it set on a countertop for an hour, then cut into slices.
- The gingerbread will last, covered and stored in a cool place, for up to 4 days.
- You can store an unglazed gingerbread in the freezer, tightly wrapped, for up to 2 months.
- You may omit the glaze and just sprinkle the gingerbread with powdered sugar.