Chewy and redolent of fresh parsley, these savory oatmeal bars are very tasty, and high in protein and fiber.
Just six simple ingredients and great for breakfast or as a snack any time.
- 2 cups (245 g) rolled oats
- 1 cup (240 ml) room temperature water
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup (60 ml) finely chopped fresh parsley, or cilantro
- 1 teaspoon minced, peeled garlic (about 1 large garlic clove)
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C) and spray a 9×9-inch (23×23 cm) baking pan with vegetable oil.
- Pour the water over the rolled oats in a small bowl, and let soak for 1 hour.
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat the eggs with a whisk. Add the parsley, garlic, salt, and pepper, and mix. Add the soaked oats and stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture into the baking pan and spread evenly. Bake in the oven until golden brown and firm to touch, about 25–30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Cut into bars. Serve warm or at room temperature. Store the bars covered, in the fridge, for up to 5 days.
- You can do a combination 1/4 cup of fresh herbs; use what you have on hand, for example parsley, cilantro, oregano, thyme, chives, sage, rosemary.
- Temperature: eat the bars cold, at room temperature or warm. Reheat in the oven or microwave
- Serving suggestion: dip the bars in ketchup, chipotle mayo, or tartar sauce