Make this fresh, vegan salad in less than 15 minutes, using a handful of simple ingredients. It works as a side as well as a main dish.
- ¾ cup (95 g) finely diced, peeled red onion (about 1 medium red onion)
- 4 tablespoons (60 ml) olive oil
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon minced, peeled garlic
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3½ cups (510 g) chickpea, freshly cooked, or canned (drained, rinsed)
- 1 cup (170 g) halved cherry tomatoes (about 15 cherry tomatoes)
- 1 cup (150 g) diced Persian cucumber (about 2 small Persian cucumbers, or ½ English cucumber)
- ¾ cup (180 ml) finely chopped cilantro, or parsley
- In a large bowl, mix together the red onion, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, garlic, and black pepper.
- Add the chickpea, tomatoes, cucumbers, and cilantro, and mix to combine.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled. Store in the fridge, covered, for up to 2 days.
This salad is a good building block, which you can easily expand. You can add:
- diced avocado
- chopped green bell peppers
- finely diced jalapeño pepper or other chilies to spice it up
- chopped almonds
- chopped fresh mint