Granola with chunky, crunchy clusters that stick together. Made with almonds, pecans, flaxseed, coconut, honey and spices.
- ¼ cup (50 g) flaxseed
- ¼ cup (60 ml) cold water
- ¼ cup (60 ml) melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup (60 ml) honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups (350 g) rolled oats
- ½ cup (55 g) unsweetened shredded coconut
- ¼ cup (60 g) brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (70 g) almonds, chopped
- ½ cup (58 g) pecan halves, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C and position a rack in the middle of the oven.
- Spray a rimmed baking sheet with vegetable oil or brush it lightly with vegetable oil. (I used a classic half-sheet pan, which measures 17.25 x 12.25 x 1” or 44 x 31 x 2.5 cm).
- Place the flaxseed in a small bowl, add the cold water and stir. Let stand for 30 minutes until the flaxseed soaks up the water and becomes gluey.
- Combine the coconut oil, honey, and vanilla extract in a small bowl.
- Mix the oats, coconut, sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Stir in the almonds, and pecans.
- Add the flaxseed and coconut mixtures, and stir to combine.
- Transfer the granola mixture to the prepared baking sheet, and spread evenly by lightly pressing and tapping down.
- Bake in the oven until golden brown, about 25–30 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes. Scrape (because of the sugar caramelizing, the granola might stick to the pan in places) from the baking pan, breaking it into smaller pieces. Let cool completely on the pan.
- Store in a container with a lid for up to 2 months.
Modify and experiment:
- 100% GLUTEN FREE: oats by nature are gluten-free, but they might be processed in places that also handle wheat, barley etc. If you’re gluten intolerant, make sure to buy gluten-free oats.
- VEGAN version: replace honey with brown rice syrup
- SPICES: add dried ginger, ground cardamom or all-spice to add extra flavor
- NUTS: you can use just one kind of nuts; substitute walnuts for pecans; pistachios are great too
- DRIED FRUIT: mix raisins, dried cranberries, blueberries or currant into the cooled granola
- Try the granola sprinkled on vanilla ice cream!