Who doesn’t like crisp? Baked, lightly sweetened fruit—a mixture of in-season berries in this case—topped with crunchy, caramelized oatmeal–walnut topping, it is a thrillingly satisfying dessert, especially when served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
This recipe is endlessly versatile. You can make it all year round, with your favorite fruit—even frozen. Besides the fruit, you can play with other ingredients: add a tablespoon of brandy to the fruit, sprinkle some cinnamon over the topping, or use almonds or pecans instead of walnuts.
- Serves 4–6
- 2 cups strawberries, stemmed, chopped
- 2 cups raspberries
- 2 cups blackberries
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Pinch salt
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 8 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, mix the berries with 2 tablespoons of the flour, granulated sugar, and salt. Transfer the mixture to an 8x8-inch baking pan and set aside.
- Combine the ½ cup flour, brown sugar and rolled oats in a bowl. Using your fingers, work the butter into the mixture until crumbly. Mix in the walnuts.
- Sprinkle all of the oat-walnut mixture evenly on top of the berries. Bake in the oven until the fruit is bubbly and the topping is crisp and golden brown, about 60 minutes. Let cool and serve warm or at room temperature.
For a gluten-free version, use a different flour (brown rice, almond or coconut, for example) and gluten-free oats.