Easy coffee cake made in a pie pan and using diced apples and walnuts. Great for everyday or on Thanksgiving.
- 8 tablespoons (½ cup/113 g) softened unsalted butter, plus extra to grease pie pan
- ¾ cup (107 g) packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (150 g) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2½ cups (270 g) peeled, diced firm apples (such as Granny Smith)
- ½ cup (60 g) chopped walnuts or pecans
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- Ice cream (optional)
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F/180 C degrees. Grease a 9-inch round pie pan or a 9-inch square baking pan with butter or spray with oil to prevent sticking.
- In a large bowl combine the butter, sugar and egg. Whisk until blended.
- Add the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg, and mix to combine.
- Stir in the apples and walnuts, then add the hot water, and mix.
- Transfer the mixture to the pie pan, spread evenly over the bottom and smooth out the top.
- Bake in the oven until golden brown on top, about 35–40 minutes.
- Let cool on a kitchen counter. Slice and serve dusted with powdered sugar or with ice cream.