Apple Walnut Chocolate Coffee Cake: Ready In Less Than 1 Hour
Apple Walnut Chocolate Coffee Cake
This easy, spur-of-the-moment cake comes together in no time and is made from simple ingredients that dance together perfectly. Crisp, firm apples, walnuts and bittersweet chocolate, all chopped, are stirred into an egg-based batter, giving you a hefty cake that stays moist and can be stored, tightly wrapped, for a few days. You can bake it for a potluck, both for kids and adults, or just enjoy it with your afternoon cup of tea or coffee.
- Serves 8–10
- 5 eggs
- 1½ cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup sunflower oil, plus 2 tablespoons for the baking pan
- 2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup chopped walnuts
- 3½ ounces dark chocolate (about one chocolate bar)
- 4 cups firm apples cut into ½-inch cubes (about 2 large apples)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and brush a rimmed, 9x13-inch baking pan with 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and mix in the sugar. Stir in the oil and add the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, walnuts, chocolate and apples. Mix until combined.
- Pour the batter into the baking pan and spread evenly. Bake in the oven until a knife or cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 35–40 minutes. Let cool completely in the pan, and then slice. The cake will keep in a cool place, tightly wrapped, for up to 3 days.