Apple Crumb Bars
Apple Crumb Bars
These delicious bars come together pretty quickly. There is the same layer of crumbly streusel—composed of rolled oats, flour, brown sugar and softened butter—used for the base as well as for the topping. In the middle is a jamlike filling of grated and scented apples that’s very easy to prep. When baked, you get irresistible treats, with a thin ribbon of caramelized apples and golden-brown crisp top—one bite and you’re instantly comforted.
- Serves 6–8
- 2½ cups peeled, grated apples (about 3 medium apples)
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ cup water
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1¼ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 11 tablespoons softened, unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces plus 1 tablespoon for the cake pan
- To make the filling, combine the apples, lemon juice, cinnamon, and salt in a medium saucepan. Cook, stirring occasionally, over medium–low heat, until the apples release their juice, about 5 minutes.
- Add the sugar, cornstarch, and water, and stir until combined. Continue cooking, stirring continuously, until the mixture thickens, about 5–7 minutes. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease the bottom and sides of a round or square 9-inch cake pan with 1 tablespoon of the butter.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, flour, sugar, and baking powder. With your fingers work in the 11 tablespoons of butter, tossing and lifting, until the mixture is blended and starts to form clumps. Set aside 1½ cups of the mixture to use for the topping.
- With your hand, firmly and evenly press the crumb mixture over the bottom of the cake pan. Spread the apple filling on top of it, and finish with sprinkling the remaining 1½ cups of topping.
- Bake in the oven until the top is golden brown, about 35–40 minutes. Let cool and cut into bars.